Friday, July 29, 2011

Author's Purpose

In writing there is four different author's purposes, to inform, to describe, to persuade, and to entertain. Although these ideas seem very general and simple they sometimes be confusing or hard to identify in writing. I have uploaded two power points that I use to introduce the topic of authors purpose and some short written examples.

Authors Purpose Reading Examples

Authors Purpose Powerpoint 1

Authors Purpose Powerpoint 2

In my class I have gone through the powerpoint, and then have the students get in groups/or partners read the examples and guess a purpose for every example. After about 20-30 minutes, go over the answers as a class and discuss reasons why the were a particular author purpose.

Below are some video's I found on youtube; I show each one and then have the students guess which is which.




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great video examples. They're all current and topical and are sure to catch and keep students' interest. Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete